I've put a draft list of data requirements for a Microsoft review / audit based on the 'SAM Services Baseline Guide' published by Microsoft.
Is there anything missing ? What other data points are required?
- An exhaustive list of devices, with manual inventory if required to audit non-networked devices. Microsoft doesn’t like estimates.
- Device types details (e.g. Desktops, Laptops, Secondary Laptops, Thin Clients, Smart Phones, Physical / Virtual Servers)
- Server / Cluster setup (Number of physical hosts, physical processors per host, maximum number of VMs possible per host, physical cores per processor, hyper threading details, cluster configuration)
- How are servers used / configured? E.g. Load balancing, DRS, High Availability, Affinity, Pooling
- Remote Desktop Services setup (are Microsoft products installed within the RDS environment, can this be accessed from a third party device i.e. Home PC or non-domain device. How is access to the RDS environment restricted?
- Visual Studio – how many developers are there? How are development environments managed?
- How are CALS calculated?
- Use of OEM/FPP and explanations
- Personal devices? What are they accessing?
- Software Assurance coverage
- Installed products grouped by Applications, Servers and Systems
Source: ‘Microsoft SAM Services Baseline Guide’